Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's The Plan?

How often do you wonder about what is coming next for you, or what the reason is behind something bad that happened? I know I personally am a very curious person! I always have those sorts of questions flowing through my head. But, the answer to all my questions I may never know, or may figure it out way later.

One thing I really try to think about, whenever I am dealing with my curiosity or my detective nature in trying to figure out the cause and meaning of a big event in my life, is that I am not required to know all of the answers. I have to remember who the one behind the events is, and that same person is orchestrating my life to be exactly what it needs to be. Our Lord is behind everything! That should be reassuring, but we are human and I know I struggle with accepting the fact that I am not the one that is in control of my life!

Today I was sitting enjoying frozen yogurt with a very good friend of mine. We started discussing how intricately put together we are and how awesome the big guy upstairs is for making us from dirt! We then got onto the topic of why bad things happen. That is a very deep topic in itself especially as a Christian looking at it. It then appeared in my quiet time without me actively looking for it. Crazy things that God does when He really wants us to grasp onto a certain idea or concept!

We all have heard the story of Job. I cannot even imagine the life that Job lived. To lose everything imaginable yet keep the attitude and faith that he did just absolutely blows my mind. I do like reflecting back on that story in times of struggle as a good reminder for how to respond to a time of struggle. First off, no matter what Job endured he kept his faith and kept praising the Lord. That is not an easy task by any means. We all go through things in our lives that we want to blame God for. Everyone has difficulties in their lives that come in many different forms, not one person's struggle any easier to handle than the next person's.

The important thing to remember is the fact that God does not cause these things to happen, but allows them to happen. It is against who He is to actually have a hand in the pain and suffering. In Job when the trials and bad things are about to happen, we see Satan present himself to the Lord. Satan is trying to get under God's skin and say that God's people are turning on Him. Then the Lord explains how faithful Job is and brags on Job's character, Satan then tries to figure out a way to get Job to fail. "Satan answered the Lord and said, 'Skin for skin! Yes all that a man has he will give for his life. However, put forth Your hand now, and touch his bone and his flesh; he will curse You to Your face.' So the Lord said to Satan, 'Behold, he is in your power, only spare his life.'" (Job 2:4-6). This is a perfect example of the Lord is not actually the one to harm you. He allows these things to happen with a cause behind them, and is the one who sets the limits that He knows need to be set. He is still in control, but not actually the one causing the pain and suffering.

Another thing that I try to remember when going through tough times is that there is a plan for even the bad things in life. Some people will get caught up in trying to figure out what wrong thing they did to deserve that pain and suffering, or why would something so bad happen to someone who has been so good. Neither of those are necessarily the case. In the book of John, we see Jesus actually out roaming the streets and teaching. He is out working miracles and teaching all of those who will listen. In John chapter 9 we see Jesus in Jerusalem and he encounters a man that has been blind since birth. "And His disciples asked Him, 'Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?' Jesus answered, 'It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him. We must work the works of Him who sent Me as long as it is day; night is coming when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the Light of the world.'" (John 9:2-5) What if that man was actually never blind? Then Jesus would not have had that chance to show the people that were nearby and knew that beggar who He really is. There was a reason that man was born blind and was sitting exactly where he was when Jesus passed through, and that was to show the people out in the streets the power of our Lord and Savior. There is a reason for every single little thing that happens in your life! Do not get too focused on the terrible event, but instead hold your head up high and look to the Lord.

These tough events in life will come from all different sources and strike us all at different points in life. There is a reason that each event occurs exactly when it does, not any earlier or later than the Lord has planned. The events in our lives also affect those around us. We all are helping shape each other to be the people the Lord needs us to be. Whether it is a growing experience for you or a learning experience for your friends, each event will fulfill a great purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment